Hello 2018! You probably know that I pick a word or two to focus on each year. In 2016, it was RECEIVING. In 2017, my focus was on JOY and AUTHENTICITY. For 2018, these are the two words that spoke strongly to me…
This year, I will show it, feel it, and express it more in my life. Why did I choose this as a focus? Many things that happened in 2017 were a reminder of how short and precious life is, and as a result, I decided that I don’t want to wait until moments of illness or tragedy occur to tell the people in my life that I’m grateful for them and how much they mean to me. So that’s why I’ll be doing the following over the next 12 months:
- Journaling daily in this awesome gratitude journal I found on Amazon.
- Each week, I’ve set aside time for something I’m calling “Gratitude Notes” where I’ll write letters (actual snail mail letters) to people who have touched my life in some way. Just did my first few on Sunday!
- Cutting back on drinking alcohol…not because I have a problem with it, but because I want to be fully present for every blessed moment of this year.
- Hug more. A LOT more!
This means many different things to me and could apply in many different ways, but I’ll know it when I feel it. It’s those spontaneous moments with friends when you’re so happy you could cry, and you want to hold on to that moment forever. It’s the professional achievement that caused you a ton of stress, but in the end, you were damn proud of yourself for it. It’s those times when Mom is able to articulate her feelings in words (these times aren’t as frequent as they used to be), and she grabs your hand and squeezes. It’s the emotions that run through when I’m thoroughly engaged in playing and releasing my inner child. Yes, I said PLAYING! A few of the things I’ll be doing this year to incite more MAGIC in my life:
- Get to the water more often. I live six blocks from it, but I’m not there nearly enough.
- Learn to surf! Locations I’m considering are Hawaii, Australia, or Costa Rica (open to more suggestions).
- Buy a new bike, because riding on the bike path makes me feel FREE.
- More theme parks! Enough said.
- Sing and dance and sing and dance and sing and dance!
And with that, I’m off to focus on GRATITUDE and MAGIC! And I wish you a very very Happy New Year!