I’ve had a number of people asking me about the digital tools I’m using for blogging and vlogging. Here they all are for your reading pleasure:
- WordPress: My entire site is on WordPress. I used to be on Blogger, but I switched because I felt like there was more I could customize on the WordPress platform. I use the mobile app to write my posts on-the-go. My site was designed and developed by Ryan Logan, based in Chicago (message me if you’d like his contact info).
- iMovie: I recently bought my first Mac, and it opened up to me the world of iMovie. I’m using this tool to film and edit all of my vlog posts. I’ve mostly taught myself how to use it, thought I did get a little guidance from my boyfriend (thanks sweetie).
- Canva: This is a graphic design site, and it’s perfect for beginners like me! I’ve mostly used these designs in conjunction with my vlog posts.
- Evernote: I don’t know what I would do without this app! It’s for note-taking and organization. I use it to keep track of all the topic ideas for my blog series. I add them to a note titled “Blog Posts That Will Blow Your Mind.” (My other Evernote notes also have amusing titles, but that’s a topic for another blog post.)
- Word Swag App: This is the app I use to combine text, quotes and images. It’s the best $3.99 I’ve ever spent on an app. I usually use it to create an image for each of my blog posts. Then, I use that image on social media channels to help promote the blog post.
- Pic Collage App: I use this free app in the same way that I use the Word Swag App, but I find that I can do more with images in this app.
- Bit.ly: This link-shortener tool helps me understand my audience better. By looking at the analytics, I can see where the most people are clicking on my links (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc.).
- MailChimp: I use the free version of this to send weekly emails to my subscribers. In that weekly email, my subscribers get a special message from me (that I haven’t included in a blog or vlog post), as well as all of the links to my posts from the prior week.
- Google Drive: I save EVERYTHING to Google Drive. It’s my backup system. I love it.
When it comes to promotion, I promote my posts on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, Snapchat and Medium. If it’s a vlog entry, then obviously, it’s also shared on YouTube. I’m thrilled that I have an audience and community on each platform! That’s the best part of social media…the connections.
If you have a suggestion for another tool I should consider, please share in the comments below.
*This post is part of a 30-day series called “Getting Unstuck” in which I’m trying to figure out my next professional step by getting out of my comfort zone and taking on various challenges. Follow along by subscribing to my weekly email list here.